EXPRESS INTERCITY PREMIUM
The investment concerns the purchase of passenger rolling stock to operate on PKP Intercity long-distance connections and is divided into two stages: the first one includes the purchase of 20 multiple units, and the second one — construction of a Maintenance Centre.
On 30 May 2011, PKP Intercity S.A. signed an agreement with Alstom for delivery of 20 multiple units. These units are to be delivered in 2014.
THE MAIN GOAL OF THE PROJECT:
to reduce the travel time, mainly between Gdynia, Warsaw, Katowice/Cracow and between Warsaw and Wrocław.
SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC GOALS:
- to increase overall safety and the safety of passengers,
- to increase the comfort of travel,
- to facilitate disabled persons using railway transport,
- to increase the functionality of railway transport by providing service facilities to maintain the modern units,
- to reduce the impact of transport on the environment.
In order to achieve these goals, investment in railway infrastructure is also required.
The project is co-financed by the European Union from the Cohesion Fund under the Operational Programme "Infrastructure and Environment".